WATCH THE FULL CELEBRATION OF NIPSEY HUSSLE LIFE HERE

FOLLOW US TODAY

Deadly gunfire rocks the Island One man shot dead, another shot and wounded and bullets fly in city street during 12 hours of mayhem

MURDER VICTIM GARY "FINGAZ"CANN

Mayhem erupted yesterday as the Island saw one man murdered, another injured and shots fired in broad daylight — all within 12 hours.

Police have said the shootings might be linked.

The chaos started at 10.30 p.m. on Tuesday when 22-year-old Gary "Fingaz" Cann was shot at the Soundview Road, Somerset home of his girlfriend Sancha Durham.

A second man was shot in the hand at 1.35 a.m. yesterday outside Warwick Lanes bowling alley. He was taken to King Edward VII Memorial Hospital. His injuries are not thought to be life-threatening.

Investigations into both incidents are underway. No one has been arrested.

The third shooting occurred at 10.30 a.m. outside Court Street store C&R Discount — the very same store that was shot up in May. No one was injured.

A man was arrested in connection with yesterday's shooting after a community member called Police, concerned about suspicious activity.




Assistant Commissioner Paul Wright said: "We haven't ruled out that the three shootings are related."

Rumours of further incidents of gun crime travelled the Island yesterday — all which proved to be false.

However the Ministry of Education took special precautions, keeping students at CedarBridge Academy, Harrington Sound Primary and Victor Scott Primary inside the school buildings on the advice of Police.

This week's shootings brings the total to 16 since May three have resulted in death.

Kumi Harford was murdered 12 days ago. The 30-year-old was shot more than ten times while he travelled home on St. Monica's Road.

Police have previously linked the violence to rivalry between Pembroke gangs Parkside and 42nd Street.

New Police Commissioner Michael DeSilva said: "We are very unlikely to issue any specific information about any specific case. There are three investigative teams dealing with the three cases.

"Of course I am alarmed and the community needs to be alarmed. My concern is to make sure that not only do we have enough resources to deal with the incident, we need as a community to get to the root of the problem."

Mr. Wright refused to state whether gang members were involved in this week's shootings.

"It's something to characterise people by the areas that they live in. It's not for us to do that. Those people are victims of serious crimes. The Police have done a lot of analysis on which members of the community present the biggest threat. We continue to share that information with all of our officers at street level which helps them focus of where they have the maximum effect."

He said Police would today release CCTV footage of the area on Court Street where shots were fired in the hope of drawing out witnesses.

"We'll be putting that out to the public as early as tomorrow. The footage will show a motorcycle being ridden along Princess Street and Elliott Street. The shooting took place where we think the pillion passenger was dropped off and then picked up again. It may help jog the memory of anyone who may have seen them."

Views: 130

Comment

You need to be a member of ThisIs80 to add comments!

Join ThisIs80

© 2019   Created by ThisIs80.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service